A short summary of your project
I´m raising funding for my thesis project investigating the benefits of native Koa reforestation for ranches on the island of Maui, Hawaii. The investigation involves forage analysis of grasses growing under Koa trees, as well as an estimate of carbon sequestration of trees within the system. The project has the potential to encourage a more sustainable scenario for ranching in the Upcountry Maui community. Thank you for your support!
Who are you?
My name is Torey Jenkins. I was born and raised in Upcountry Maui, an area known for beautiful scenery and large areas devoted to cattle ranching. After learning about the deforestation and subsequent reforestation of many areas of Costa Rica devoted to livestock, I was inspired to see if Hawaiian cattle ranches can do something similar for the long term environmental and economic viability of the island.
- I am completing a master´s degree in sustainable agriculture and agroforestry from and institution in Costa Rica called CATIE (The Tropical Agricultural Research and Higher Education Center). I have decided to conduct my thesis on sustainable ranching practices on the island of Maui because I believe that there can be room for agricultural operations and native trees within the same space.
- This project is particularly important to me because the island of Maui has been struggling with long-term drought and erosion, and reforestation with native tree species may be beneficial for moisture retention, aquifer-recharge, wildlife biodiversity, and even ranching operations.
- I believe that donors will have a powerful and positive impact on sustainable and environmentally-responsible ranching by supporting this project.
Where will the money GO?
- If I hit my minimum, I will spend my funding on forage analysis at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, as well as transportation costs associated with getting to the reforestation site.
- If I hit my full target, I will utilize the monies to help pay for tuition at CATIE (Tropical Agricultural Research and Higher Education Center)
- What will you do with extra funds if things really take off and you raise more than your target? For any extra funds that exceed my target amount, I will donate to Auwahi.org, which is a native reforestation non-profit on Maui
- I will give updates on the progress of my project once per month.
- Breakdown of costs
- Forage Analysis: $2,400.00
- Transportation costs: $800.00
- Tuition/school administration costs: 2,700.00
Rewards will include collector's pens made out of sustainably harvested Koa wood for those that choose to contribute $120.00 or more
Images and video
Find us here
Help us succeed!
- You don't need to give money to help us succeed! Please share this project with anyone you think would support us – on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, by email, telephone, in a chat over the fence or on your blog.
- In fact, share it with everyone you know as we think it's a great idea, and the more people who know about it, the more likely we are to make this work out brilliantly.
- And we know we said you don't need to give money to help us, but we'd love it if you did! Please sponsor us and help make this happen.